Thursday, October 4, 2012

*IN*fertile Myrtle/ One Year Celebration!

Today is a VERY special day.  One year ago today, I left behind my 2 year 8 month struggle with infertility and crossed over into the "puke your guts up all day, every day for 16 weeks" wonderful world of pregnancy.  Here is my story...


........October 4, 2011........

This is the day that my life changed forever.  A day that I didn't think would ever come.  My period was 3 days late.  Two years ago, I would have been doing a pregnancy test 5 days before a missed period.  Not at this time, though.  I would wait it out...seeing the negative test just made me more sad and depressed.  It actually had not occured to me that I was 3 days late until I was talking on the phone with a friend (whom I've only met once in person, but I think of her as a true friend) who was struggling with infertility as well.  After we got off the phone, it hit me like a ton of bricks...I had not started and didn't even feel like I would start anytime soon.  I dashed to my bathroom (where I had a healthy supply of tests) and low and behold I WAS PREGNANT!!!  I was in shock.  I kept looking at the plus sign and doubting myself.  Did I do the test right? (how many ways can you actually pee on a stick??!)  Was there really a plus sign or were my eyes playing tricks on me?  So...I took another one.  And guess what??...It was still positive!  Josh was out of town on a business trip.  I called him...he didn't answer.  Go figure!  I called repeatedly until he answered.  I wanted to wait and surprise him at the airport when I picked him up but I could not wait to share the wonderful news!  We were both ecstatic!  I spent the afternoon crying (tears of joy) and thanking God for this wonderful blessing!!!

........How it all started........

Six months prior to finding out we were pregnant, we started infertility treatments.  We had been trying to get pregnant for over 2 years.  I endured 4 months of blood draws, vaginal ultrasounds, clomid, HCG injections (thank you, Megan for shooting up my booty!), HSG procedure (which was very painful for me), an ovarian cyst from the clomid, and peeing on ovulation sticks almost daily.  It was all very stressful and an even bigger let down every month that I wasn't pregnant. 

It seemed like everyone I knew was popping babies out like a candy machine.

My poor husband endured his fair share of uncomfortable moments as well.  Bless his heart.  I won't put on here what he had to go through, but I just want him to know how much I love him and appreciate him for the sacrifices he made for our family.

........Stopping infertility treatments........

August 8th, 2011
I went to the infertility clinic for another ultrasound.  The nurse insisted that we do a pregnancy test because she saw something "different" on the ultrasound.  What do you know...negative again.  Broke my heart.  I remember sitting there thinking that this could be the day that we finally got that positive sign. False hope.  I was so let down and very depressed after this. 

Josh had just accepted a new job that would be taking us away from our family and friends...670 miles to be exact.  We were moving in mid-October to the Tulsa, OK area.  I was so overwhelmed with trying to get pregnant, going to the infertility clinic and trying to get ready to move that I decided I couldn't do it anymore.  I had to pack up my whole life and leave behind the people I loved the most, this was depressing in itself!  I couldn't take anymore disappointment or sadness.  I had an ultrasound scheduled for August 15th and I cancelled it.  We put everything on hold in order to move half-way across the country.  Infertility is very draining- physically and mentally...so was moving away from our home.

On November 14th, we saw this precious gummy bear for the first time!


........

I found out I was pregnant 6 days before the moving truck came and packed up my entire life.  We got pregnant when we least expected it.  We quit infertility treatments and magically we were pregnant a little over a month later.  This is the reaction of my bestie. We had a wonderful "girl date" dreaming of the future and planning everything! We told our families over our Thanksgiving gathering.  Everyone was so thrilled to meet our angel :)

Through all the tears and sad days, we now have the most precious angel in our lives.  I am so thankful that God chose ME to be Eli's Mommy.  The pregnancy was not easy.  I had severe nausea and vomiting until I was 20 weeks pregnant.  I lost a lot of weight.  But as I was puking, dehydrated and taking Zofran and Phenergan suppositories around the clock, I was still thankful to be pregnant with our little miracle.

Thanks to everyone who prayed for our miracle.  God works everything out in HIS time!

3 comments:

Melanie @ 4Kottez said...

What a wonderful ending to a long journey. I love how you wrote being thankful God choose you as Eli's mom. I feel like that with my two sweeties too. Thank you for sharing this.

Kimmyyy83 said...

Loved reading this! I get to go see my gummy bear today! :-)

*erica* said...

I remember the day Josh told me about your news! I could have not been more happy for you guys. I love you both and little Eli too. I wish y'all were closer so I could be around to spoil him!