Monday, March 11, 2013

Hospital Stay

I really hate it when my baby is sick. He's had the occasional runny nose, low grade fever and allergies. Nothing like what I'm about to describe. Scariest 4 days of my life...

Friday morning, March 1st, I got Eli up around 6:15 to get him ready for daycare. He was completely normal...a little fussy but nothing out of the ordinary. I got him dressed and was about to put him in his car seat. He let out a terrible scream and his left eye was extremely red and swollen. After I noticed the redness, he started losing control of his head movements. It was bobbing back and forth like he couldn't hold it up on his own. Then he started closing his eyes and getting very drowsy. I took him into my room and let Josh look at him. We had no idea what was going on. It only lasted a few minutes and I had to get going so I wouldn't be late for work. I got him to daycare and his left eye was still red but he acted alert and normal. I reluctantly left him with strict instructions to call my department with any changes or concerns.

That afternoon, I took Eli to the doctor. I wasn't sure what was going with him but knew that something was off. Of course at this time, his eye was completely normal. No redness. The doctor looked at his eye and said it was fine. He did have a slight ear infection on the left side but nothing severe.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon. It was around 4:00 and I was holding Eli at the bar and Josh was straight across from me. Eli let out a terrible scream, his left eye turned very red and swollen and he became lethargic again. I was in a panic. I am a nurse, and have been for 9 years, but when it's your child, you lose all your knowledge and become "just a mommy." I called the doctor's office and they instructed us to go straight to the urgent care that housed a pediatrician. We scurried around and were gone in less than 20 minutes.

From the time we left our house, Eli had 3 more episodes. The redness would come on so fast that it was like he was slapped in the face. It would last about 15 minutes and then go away like nothing ever happened. What was so concerning to me was the lethargy. He was very sensitive to light and was overall just miserable. They decided to direct admit us to Children's Hospital in Tulsa.

We arrived around 6:30 and they hooked him up to a continuous EEG at 10 pm. Poor baby cried the whole time. It took 30 minutes to put all 25 leads on his head. They each had to be glued and dried before moving to the next. They also drew blood on him during this. I'm kind of glad they just did it all at the same time. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Eli endured lab draws, continuous EEG(
(For a day and a half), IV stick and an MRI under general anesthesia. I got to go in with him and hold his hand while he drifted off to sleep.

We were discharged Monday afternoon, March 4th, with no answers. They had ruled out brain tumors, blood clots, brain/spinal cord infection and genetic anomalies. The doctors were baffled and had never seen the symptoms together like Eli had.

We did not receive answers about what happened to Eli. The closest thing they could think of was that something was interfering with one of his cranial nerves. I know without a doubt that God healed my sweet baby. Something happened that evening. I felt such a peace and comfort that only The Lord can give.

Eli is already giving his Mommy and Daddy gray hair!

The happy ending to this story is that Eli got a new pirate ship crawl through toy for being such a big boy :)


Megan said...

Sweet Eli. I hate that he had to go through any of that! But praise God everything super scary was ruled out. Love y'all!

Becca said...

Oh my word! That is so scary! I am so happy to hear that he is better. You are one tough mama.

Lorrie Morris said...

I am so glad that my sweet man is all better!! He just wanted to make sure that no one was forgetting about him! (: Thanking God continuously that he is well!